You’ve probably heard the buzz and the excitement about Facebook Live and you want to get involved with it. This can give you a big edge over your competition while helping you to connect with your audience in whole new ways.
All that’s left to do is to get started. So the questions are, how do you use this tool? What tricks do you need to know? And what features are there to take advantage of?
It’s very easy to get started with Facebook Live:
1. Simply open up your Android or iOS Facebook app and then find the box you would normally type in to make a new post (status update):
2. When you click in that box, you will be presented with a number of additional options which include posting a picture or a video. And now you also have the option to post live videos, which is represented by an icon that looks like a person with radio waves emanating from their head and the words Go Live (circled on the image below):
3. Click this. It will take you to a new screen where you can enter a description for your video, or decide who gets to see the content. (For this screenshot, I had my phone pointed upward, so enjoy this pic of my ceiling fan!)
4. If you chose to post from your Facebook page, the video will automatically be public. That means anyone can watch it either from the Facebook Live Map or if they find your page or see your post in their news feed.
5. If you posted the video in a private group, it will be visible only to that group by default. And if you posted from your personal Facebook page, you can choose very specifically who you want to share your videos with.
The only other options on the page are to switch between front-facing and rear cameras and to go live when you’re ready.
Welcome to Facebook Live
Once you’re live, you simply talk into the camera and aim it where you want it. Note that you can see comments left by viewers. You can also see their reactions which may be a like, a love, or another expression. You can see how many people are viewing and when someone new joins in.
It’s a good idea to mention people as they tune in. It helps them feel more involved and increases the intimacy and engagement of your videos.
For more on using Facebook Live, check out Facebook Live QuickStart.